Sunday, May 1, 2011

Konformity is Power Program

Oh, I'm glad I'm not an Oscar Mayer wiener.
That is what I'd never want to be.
Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer wiener.
There would soon be nothing left of me!





This commercial was popular when I was a kid. It glorifies conformity and bullying, and renounces independent thought. Leslie dug it out for me. It bothered her then. 40 years later it still bothers her.

Stuff we toss at kids sticks a long, long time.


I did not know, but now I see
That KIPP is my identity
Through work, love, hope, and strife
KIPP is not just a school but a way of life.

Sayda Morales, "Bolero," from KIPP promotional video.



Just saying....








You can't make this stuff up....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which is why I never use "conformity" as classroom control. Just because group A is sitting still, should you? As much as I would like my students to do what they're told, I would prefer to see them make positive alternate choices. Fighting, screaming, and quitting do not count as positive alternates. Finishing your French in math class and your Math in English class do.(? I don't know why, but as long as you're learning, really, do I care?) You don't have to march along with the rest - I don't.

Unknown said...

I once tried to explain how I "got" my class to be quiet when we were doing a debate. The principal didn't believe me when I said it wasn't procedures or rules, but an engaging debate and an ethical discussion about when to speak and when to listen.

I've never liked KIPP. It's like a secular version of a creepy church camp . . . just with a little more "white man's burden" and neo-imperialism mixed in.

Reflections of a Science Teacher said...

I love you guys.

doyle said...

Dear Anonymous,

Conformity never worked well for me in the classroom--but then I can hardly dress myself without looking like a frumpy clown.


Dear John,

Leslie loved your words here, and I do, too.

For anyone who does not know, John just had another book published--the first chapter is excerpted here.


Dear Reflections,

We love you, too--congratulations on your Project Bread walk--great work!